The History of Château Bouscaut
The Bouscaut vineyards exist since the 17th century on the commune of Cadaujac, within the Graves appellation. Called Haut Truchon, it was renamed Château Bouscaut in 1929 after the locally given name.
The various owners throughout the twentieth century were very dedicated to improving and transforming both the vineyard and the château. The neighbouring property, Château Valoux, became part of Bouscaut in 1929. In the thirties, the domain was cited as being a model estate by the Chamber of Agriculture and a race horse called Château Bouscaut won first prize in the coveted Maisons Lafitte race. In the same period, a tower was added to the main residential building and cellars were erected next to it.
The winner of many medals and the subject of many illustrious French singers such as Louis Jouvet, Maurice Chevalier or Gilbert Bécaud, the wines of Château Bouscaut were recognised and consecrated in 1953, when it was awarded the envied status of Graves Cru Classé, for both its white and red wines.
In early 1960, the château was completely destroyed by a fire and only the cellars were left in tact. The owner, Victor Place, oversaw its reconstruction, to the exact original plans, before selling it to a group of investors from New York. The new owners brought in the directors of Haut-Brion to manage it, and they in turn undertook many renovations to both château and vineyards.
Bouscaut was then acquired in 1979 by Lucien Lurton, a well known Bordeaux winemaker who already owned at least ten other prestigious châteaux in appellations such as Margaux (Brane-Cantenac) and Barsac (Climens). This man with the soul of a winemaker recognised the potential and exceptional terroir of Château Bouscaut.
Today the fourth generation, in the form of Sophie Lurton, Lucien’s daughter, is in charge. She inherited the estate in 1992, and Laurent Cogombles, her husband, an ENITA graduate, has been very involved with Bouscaut since 1998. Apart from this activity, Laurent is also very actively involved in the wine trade bodies, like the ‘interprofession’ and is the president of the appellation Pessac-Léognan.
For 37 years now, the family has made numerous improvements to the cellars (with a circular tank room in 1990 and a concrete tank room in 2002), the barrel maturation room (completely new), replanting the vineyards, buying the neighbouring Lamothe-Bouscaut property in 1990 and renovating the residential buildings. The domain continues its journey, led with enthusiasm and innovation by its owners.